Do you know the finest natural home remedies for dry cough?
A chronic cough or dry cough that lasts more than three to four weeks, is a very common symptom of postnasal drip, asthma and acid reflux. According to the Mayo Clinic website, smoking is often a leading risk factor for a dry cough. Though your physician might prescribe a cough depressent or any other medications, simple home remedies for dry cough may help provide relief. Some natural home remedies such as changes in your diet and way of life and staying away from secondhand smoke could also minimize the root cause of the dry cough.
There are many different home remedies for dry cough. Below are some of the recommended home remedies:
1. Gargle with salt water to help soothe the throat
This will also help to lubricate it and to expel some of the infectious material, if the individual is actually experiencing some infection. A dry cough may also occur without infection as it could be caused by simple irritation of the throat because of lack of lubrication.
2. Onion juice is also known to help as a home remedy for dry cough
Onions should be finely chopped and their juice should be extracted and consumed as a remedy for cough. It relieves chest congestion and also soothes the throat. Onion juice mixed with honey can also be taken to loosen the mucus and relieve coughing.
3. For centuries, ginger has served as one of the most used and effective natural home remedies for dry cough.
To make the ginger cough syrup, you have to take a half teaspoon each of ginger paste and pepper powder. Now add one teaspoon of honey and vinegar to the mixture. Add 2-3 teaspoon of water to the mixture and the cough syrup is ready. Take this cough syrup 2-3 times a day to cure the condition of dry cough.
4. Home remedy for dry cough is never complete without the mention of black pepper.
Take 2-3 black pepper seeds and chew them raw. If the bitter taste does not allow you to do so, you can try the alternate method. For the same, take 2-3 black pepper seeds in a glass of milk. Have this two times a day for fast relief.
5. The age-old remedy of hot tea with a teaspoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of honey still works.
The warm tea mixture will coat your throat and lessen the severity of the dry cough. Drink the tea mixture three times daily to relieve symptoms, or at least once in the morning and once at night.
6. Drink plenty of water. Keeping yourself hydrated is important to heal your throat.
Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water to thin the mucus in your throat. Apply heating pads on your chest to relieve the pain associated with a dry cough.
7. One of the best remedy for a sore throat and dry cough is to carry through a steaming session. Boil a vessel of water and add 3-4 drops of eucalyptus oil in it. Then cover the vessel with a towel and go on to take a steam. Come up for fresh air every time the steam gets too much for you.
Continue doing this till the water has cooled down. Steaming dislodges the built mucus and pushes it down to the throat. This then helps in speeding the healing process.
8. The other alternative is to draw a hot bath, add the eucalyptus oil in it and soak for 20 minutes.
9. Turmeric is another alternative for dry cough home remedy.
Turmeric is a dry cough remedy that is said to get rid of the irritating persistent dry cough in 2 days time. Just mix 1 gram of the turmeric with 1 teaspoon of honey and drink it. Do this dry cough remedy at least three times a day.
10. Ginger is another excellent remedy for colds and coughs.
Ginger should be cut into small pieces and boiled in a cup of water. It should then be strained and half a teaspoon of sugar added to it. This decoction should be drunk when hot. Ginger tea, prepared by adding a few pieces of ginger into boiling water before adding the tea leaves, is also an effective remedy for colds and for fevers resulting from cold. It may be taken twice daily.
11. Herbal tea is another amazing cough remedy that has been used for centuries in Chinese culture.
There are many different types of herbal teas out there, many of them very good for a bad cough, but none is better than chamomile tea. To prepare properly, pour hot water into a heat resistant mug along with the chamomile tea. Allow the tea to steep for about one minute. Mix in a tablespoon of honey along with a splash of lemon juice and drink slowly. The tea will help your cough melt away, and it will settle the acid buildup in your stomach that is causing discomfort.
12. Grape juice combined with honey is recommended as fast relief home remedy for dry cough.
Grapes play important role in loosening cough and mucus, making the lungs strong. Take 2-3 tablespoon of freshly prepared grape juice with 1 tablespoon of honey. Consume it twice a day for getting rid of dry cough.
13. Honey can be very effective at soothing a sore throat.
Whether taken with tea or just hot water, honey is an effective home remedy to get rid of a dry cough. A study by Penn State University found that honey is more effective than common over-the-counter cough medications. This may be due to a combination of antioxidant properties and stimulation of salivation which can deal with the dryness.
Honey can be consumed on its own or in various green and herbal teas to help cure the condition as well.
Dry cough would definitely lessen, once its cause is known. If an individual is struggling with it for a long time, it is very important to visit the medical doctor, prior to the underlying problem aggravates leading to grievous situations.