What are the most effective home remedies for ringworm? Ringworm is an infection caused by a fungus. It is highly infectious. Because of this, it can be difficult to get rid of it. Although there are many over-the-counter and prescription medications available that can help you treat it, there are also a few home remedies that will work too.
Causes of ringworm
If anyone gets ringworm, then other people should not share combs, clothes and other products that are used by the infected person. Your pets also get ringworms and hence you can get it from them also. So be careful and observe your pets on a daily basis. Some minor injuries to the skin, scalp and nails also cause ringworms.
Many people prefer to use home remedies for ringworm instead of the over-the-counter anti-fungal medications.
Here are some home remedies for ringworm you can use to get rid of it.
1. You can use mustard seeds to effectively combat ringworms. Prepare a paste from mustard seeds and apply this paste over the affected part of the body. This is one of the quickest home remedies for ringworm.
2. Papaya is used in many ringworm home remedies. Rub the slice of raw papaya over the part of the body that has got ringworm. Raw papaya is very effective in the treatment of ringworms. You can also make a paste of dry papaya seeds and apply this on the infected regions of the body.
Next time you bring papaya home, remove the seeds of papaya and dry them in the sun for a few days. Papaya seeds have medicinal properties and are used in various home remedies for various disorders. You can make the paste of these seeds and apply on the ringworm patches.
3. Collect the leaves of holy basil and wash them properly. Make the juice of these leaves and apply it over the patches of the ringworm.
4. In case you are troubled with the irritation of the skin where ringworms are present, then applying the juice of the cassia tree leaves will give you fast relief from the irritation of the skin and will also cure the swelling of the skin.
5. Turmeric – This seasoning has natural antibiotic properties. Using a juice extractor, extract juice from fresh turmeric and apply to the patches until the ringworm disappears. Another option using turmeric is to make a juice of raw turmeric and apply it to the parts of the skin that has got ringworms. You can also take this juice orally by mixing the same amount of honey into it.
6. Take the seeds of the herb Butea and ground it to a fine paste. Mix few drops of lime juice into this paste and apply over the affected skin.
7. Carrot juices, spinach juices are very effective in curing ringworm. The best home remedies for ringworm are to mix these two juices in the proportion of 3:2 and drink it. In case you have got ringworms on the scalp, then apply the castor oil over the scalp and the hair. This is very effective to cure ringworm of the scalp without damaging the hairs or scalp.
8. To stop the itching caused by the ringworm patches, apply coconut oil on the affected body parts.
9. Avoid excessive drinking of tea, coffee and ready made juices. Bottled food items are also not good for your body.
In addition to these home remedies for ringworm, it is very vital for a person to observe good personal hygiene, so always make sure to keep your skin clear and dry. It might be of great help to use antifungal powders after bathing. Warm and moist environment favors fungal growth, as well as, the presence of minor bruises or injuries on the skin and scalp can also cause infection.
The most important part of curing ringworm at home is to keep the area clean and dry. Be certain to shower or bathe on a regular basis and dry the affected area completely. Although it may be uncomfortable, using a hair dryer on the crotch is a good way to make sure that the area gets completely dry.
How to prevent yourself from ringworm
Avoid being in contact with people and animals that have ringworm because it will be more difficult to rid yourself of the infection. It is also a good idea to clean your home thoroughly with bleach and wash all bedding, towels, and clothing in hot water and antifungal cleaner to prevent the infection from returning or infecting others.
In case you are suffering from ringworm of the scalp, the infection would last for at least ten to fourteen days, while skin ringworms should be curable within four to ten days. So next time you suffer from ringworms try out these home remedies for ringworm.