To get the most from eating apple fruit:
Consume apples with skin to get the nutrients; many of the nutrients are in the skin or just under the skin (most of the vitamin C and vitamin A are in the skin).
Apple fruit has been found to be the most very strongly pesticide-contaminated produce products according to The Environmental Working Group.
The most common pesticides found in apples are Permethrin and DDT. Non organic apple fruit is often waxed which is not digestible. Try to buy organic apples or if you will not, clean them thoroughly before use preferably with a crop and vegetable wash or peel them.
- There are more than 7,500 varieties of apples.
- The apple tree is a member of the rose family.
- When you eat an apple you are consuming a lot of air; 25 percent of their capacity is air!
- Apples have 5 percent protein.
- Apple trees can live to be 100 years!
- The largest apple fruit weighed three pounds.
- In ancient Greece when a man proposed to a woman he would toss her an apple and if she decided to catch it, it means she accepted.
- The original proverb about consuming an apple a day, which came about in 1866, was: “Eat an apple on going to bed, and you’ll keep the doctor from earning his bread.”
- It takes the energy from 50 leaves to produce one apple.
10 Reasons to Eat an Apple a Day
1. A medium apple has just 60-100 calories, virtually no fat and no sodium.
2. Its 5 grams of fiber and 20 grams of carbs make it a filling snack.
3. Apples fiber, pectin, antioxidants and other compounds can lower bad (LDL) cholesterol and raise good (HDL) cholesterol.
4. The flavonoids and other phytochemicals in apples help protect against lung and colon cancer.
5. Apples contain boron, a mineral that helps maintain bone density and protect against heart disease.
6. The tannins prevent tooth decay, gum disease and urinary.
7. Eating an apple a day (with skin) can guard against stroke.
8. The vitamins and antioxidants in apples may help prevent age-related vision loss.
9. The quer5cetin (a flavonoid) may fight cancer better than vitamins C does.
10. Apples are a good source of folic acid, a B vitamin that helps prevent serious birth defects as well as heart disease.
So there you have it… lots of good reasons why it is good for you to eat an apple a day! Beyond its fabulous flavor and perfect portability, this fruit packs major health benefits.